Thanksgiving Day cooking fires are triple the number of cooking fires on an average day.
Stand by your pan. In the event of a fire:
- Cover the pan with a lid to smother the flames.
- Turn off the stove.
- Call 911.
- Do NOT use water or flour on the fire. They can make the fire worse.
- Keep an extinguisher nearby and use it if necessary.
Similarly, a turkey fryer can go from start to fire in less than a minute.
- Never use a turkey fryer in a garage or on a porch.
- Always use the fryer outside and away from your home.
- Don’t overfill the fryer with oil.
- Don’t put a frozen turkey in hot oil.
For more fire safety tips, visit CPSC’s Fire Safety Information Center.
The original blog post is also available in Spanish.