Written by Sarah Geesaman
August is a time of transition in families with children and CG kids can use “SUPRT.”
To help keep our families ready and our children resilient while they support the lifestyle of their military parents, CG SUPRT provides resources on many topics including child care, recreational activities, family counseling, support for deployment, and school issues.
Expert Psychologist Dr. Deb Ledley has prepared a volume of video clips for the CG SUPRT LifeSpeak library titled: Stress in Children- How Can We Help? In this volume, Dr. Ledley teaches about the modern day stresses that our children face, such as stress related to homework, technology and the pressure of university/college admission. She provides strategies to help our children manage these stressors. There are several other topics covered on children’s health and wellness in the LifeSpeak library that may be helpful during the transition back to school. To access this portion of the CG SUPRT website you may need to use the corporate ID: lifespeak.
Another important aspect of a family’s readiness is their financial wellness. Kids can help by learning to be financial wise early in life to prepare them for independence as they transition to college or careers. Getting your family to save cheerfully, can be a challenge but CG SUPRT has some resources and tools for you on our Personal Financial
Informational articles, videos, and other resources for your family can be found at www.cgsuprt.com but here are some additional resources for our CG kids:
- USCG Child Care Program
- CG Child Care Subsidy
- Child Care Locator
- USCG Adoption Reimbursement Program
- Adopting a Child from Foster Care Guide
- Babies on the Homefront App – for your phone or tablet
- KnowBullying App from SAMHSA
- Military Parenting website
- USCG School Liaison Program
- Tutor.com – for free tutoring, testing prep, college essay writing, resumes, and proof reading
- USCG Special Needs Program
- USCG Family Advocacy Program
- FDIC Money Smart for Young People – free financial education program for grades Pre-K – 12
- To set up free and confidential family counseling, get personal assistance locating child care, or to start a money coaching program, call CG SUPRT 24/7 at 855-CG-SUPRT (247-8778).