Some calendars declare August as “Eat Dessert First Month.” Well since it is also the Coast Guard’s Birthday Month, we can’t let this opportunity pass us by! Each Tuesday during the month of August, our very own Coast Guard food service specialists will share some of their favorite dessert recipes so you can have dessert first!
Coast Guard food service specialists serve in approximately 370 units worldwide. They keep the Coast Guard fleet ready and able to perform the service’s missions. Dessert is always a morale booster, as well as being an important part of special events like a Change of Command.
Go ahead, have s’more!
Salted Chocolate Chip Cookie S’mores
Made by Chief Petty Officer Dustin Beasly
Food Service Specialist at Coast Guard District 13 in Seattle, Wash.
Ingredients (makes 24 cookies or 12 s’mores)
- 1 pound unsalted butter, melted and just warm to the touch
- 1 1/2 cups brown sugar
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 egg
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons nonfat milk powder
- 2 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 12 ounces semisweet chocolate chips
- 12 ounces dark chocolate chips
- flaked salt (for sprinkling)
- 1 bag of Large Marshmallows
- favorite chocolate bars (or chocolate chips will work)
Directions for cookies
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Mix the sugars together in a large bowl and add the melted butter. Stir vigorously for about a minute or more. Mix the eggs and vanilla and add to the mixture. Stir until mixture looks shiny, about one more minute.
- Mix in the flour, milk powder, salt, baking powder, and baking soda until just combined.
- Stir in the chocolate chips and mix until evenly distributed.
- Use an ice cream scoop to portion the dough, or one ounce balls and place on a baking tray lined with parchment paper about 2 to 3 inches apart. Bake for 9-11 minutes or until golden brown around the edges but still soft in the middle. The cookies will fall as they cool.
Making of the s’mores
- Place chocolate on top of one cookie.
- Toast marshmallow over fire or gas stove until desired consistency occurs (melted or crispy).
- Place marshmallow on chocolate and top with another cookie.
- Gently press together so that the heat of the marshmallow melts the chocolate.
And there you have it – melted chocolaty gooeyness! Enjoy!