This blog is the most recent in a series helping members of the Coast Guard family understand how to use their TRICARE benefits. The blog series will continue every Monday, right here on Coast Guard All Hands.
Written by Lt. j.g. Colleen McCue
As of Dec. 1, 2016, Walgreens is now part of the TRICARE retail pharmacy network via Express Scripts. However, CVS and CVS pharmacies in Target stores are no longer in the network. If you are still filling prescriptions at a CVS pharmacy, you need to transfer all your prescriptions now to avoid paying full retail price for your medication. The Coast Guard Health, Safety, & Work-Life Service Center will walk you through the steps to transfer your prescription to a network pharmacy.
What You Need To Know
- CVS pharmacies are no longer included in the TRICARE retail pharmacy network.
- Over 58,000 pharmacies are in the TRICARE network, including other national chains, grocery chains and independent pharmacies.
- Walgreens is now a retail pharmacy network.
- If you still have a prescription at a CVS pharmacy, you need to transfer your prescriptions now to another network pharmacy.
Convenient Ways to Transfer Prescriptions
- Bring your prescriptions or drug bottles to a network pharmacy. The pharmacist will be able to contact your old pharmacy and fill your prescription.
- If you do not have your drug bottles or prescription on hand, please call your new pharmacy and have them get your prescription from your previous CVS pharmacy.
- You can ask your doctor to send your prescription to your new pharmacy.
Q: I was not aware of this change and I had to pay out of pocket for my prescription. Is there a process for reimbursement?
A: Yes, beneficiaries can file a claim for a partial reimbursement of the cost of their medication when filing at a non-network pharmacy. You must file your claim within one year of the date of service. Fill out a Patient’s Request for Medical Payment (DD Form 2642) and mail to: Express Scripts, Inc. P.O. Box 52132 Phoenix, AZ 85072-2132.
* For more information, visit http://tricare.mil/CoveredServices/Pharmacy/Claims
Q: I am not sure if a Walgreens is in my area. How do I locate a network pharmacy near me?
A: It’s easy to find another TRICARE network pharmacy. Use the locate a pharmacy tool and search by zip code or enter a street address to find a pharmacy in your area.
Other Pharmacy Choices
Home Delivery is the best option for filling maintenance drugs and may save you money.
Benefits of home delivery include:
- Formulary generic drugs and standard shipping are free.
- Up to a 90-day supply of your maintenance drugs.
- Sign up for automatic refills and refills reminders.
* To learn more about Home Delivery, go to TRICARE Pharmacy Home Delivery.
For any TRICARE questions or problems, contact a Coast Guard health Benefits Administrator at 1-800-9-HBA-HBA or CGHBA@uscg.mil.