Written by Lisa J. Johnson, Family Support Services Program Manager
Military services around the globe are providing engaging ways for individuals to save and enhance their financial readiness in celebration of Military Saves Week 2017, which runs from February 27 to March 4.
Military Saves Week is an opportunity for you to assess your finance goals and learn more about how you can save for the things you want in life. This week we will be challenging you to learn more about finance through the resources on https://militarysaves.org/.
We will also highlight educational resources available to Coast Guard families, such as CGSUPRT, and encourage individuals to Take the Military Saves Pledge. The pledge can be for the financial goal of your choice and helps bring your goal to life. You could choose to save for a car, a house, a boat, or a houseboat. Each pledge goes towards the Coast Guard total, so represent your service!
The Military Saves organizational motto is: Set a Goal. Make a Plan. Save Automatically. The Military Saves Week guidance is timely as the whole workforce is learning more about the new Blended Retirement System (BRS). To learn more about the BRS, visit the Coast Guard’s Blended Retirement website and if you are eligible to opt-in, be sure to take your Opt-In training.
Additionally, there are many resources available to Coast Guard members, civilians and families to reach their financial goals, all of which can be found Office of Work-Life Programs, Personal Financial Management website. Read below for more information.
Services and Resources Available
- Personal Financial Management Coordinator (PFMC): PFMC’s are a part of the Work-Life Staff at each Health Safety and Work-Life Regional Practice (HSWL-RP), and can assist you obtain resources to help with your financial needs.
- Command Financial Specialist (CFS): Member of the military appointed by the commanding officer to provide financial education and training and information referral at the command level. The CFS should be the first stop for the military member who has questions or issues about financial readiness. CFS’s are located at many centralized units throughout the Coast Guard.
- CG SUPRT – www.CGSUPRT.com or 1-855-CG SUPRT (247-8778)
- CG SUPRT offers all eligible Coast Guard Personnel enhanced personal financial management services. The program provides one-on-one money coaching, a personalized website with helpful tools and calculators, twice-a-month webinars, and more!
- Please visit www.CGSUPRT.com and click “Personal Financial Management” under Quick Links for more information.
- CG SUPRT PFMP Basic Overview Flyer
- CG SUPRT PFMP FAQs
- For more detailed information about the Personal Financial Management Program, please view Commandant Instruction 1740.8.