Qualifying Life Events
When life changes for you and your family, your TRICARE options may also change. These are known as Qualifying Life Events (QLEs). The table below lists TRICARE QLEs. They include military and family-related changes.
Depending on your eligibility, a QLE may allow you to:
- Enroll in a new TRICARE plan.
- Change your coverage options.
Enrolling and Changing Plans
If you want to enroll in or change your plan, you must:
- Make the enrollment changes within 90 days following the QLE.
- Pay any enrollment fees or premiums due during that period.
No matter when you initiate this change, coverage starts the date of the QLE. You must pay any enrollment fees or premiums due during that period. No matter when you initiate this change, coverage starts the date of the QLE. If one member in a sponsor’s family experiences a QLE, all eligible family members may change their enrollment status during the QLE period.
- Getting Married
- Getting Divorced
- Having a baby or adopting
- Children go to college
- Children become adults
- Becoming Medicare-Eligible
- Death in family
- Loss or gain of other health insurance
- Injured on active duty
- Separating from Active Duty
Do you have questions about Qualifying Life Events (QLEs)? Not sure how QLEs can affect your TRICARE options? Here’s your chance to get some answers. Join TRICARE on Tuesday, June 12 at 3:15 p.m. (ET) for a live Q&A session on the TRICARE Facebook page.
Connect with TRICARE on Facebook and Twitter at: